Acted on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants, including Jersey firms of advocates, international financial institutions and individuals
- C v J – acted on behalf of the defendant bank between 2002-2004 in a US $50 million professional negligence claim relating to worldwide foreign exchange trading
- Carey Olsen Executors Jersey Ltd v States of Jersey – acted on behalf of a deceased’s estate between 2002-2004 in respect of a suicide allegedly resulting from medical negligence
- Jersey Financial Services Commission v Black and Others  JCA 168 (Court of Appeal) and  PC 19th December (Privy Council) – assisted the JFSC in establishing that there was no applicable prescription period in regulatory proceedings under article 20(7) of the Collective Investment Funds (Jersey) Law 1988. This important decision successfully overturned the Royal Court’s earlier determination (reported at 2002 JLR 294) that the proceedings should be struck out as being out of time. The case is further authority for various significant procedural points that are commented upon in the 2003 Jersey Law Review, pages 175 and 230.
- Advised the States of Jersey in relation to the compliance of proposed legislation with the European Convention of Human Rights.
- Regularly appointed to represent the interests of minor and unborn beneficiaries in applications concerning Trusts, including In Re Fountain Trust  in the Royal Court of Jersey, earlier the subject of the High Court decision in Minwalla v Minwalla  1 FLR 771.
General Commercial Litigation
- Les Pas Holdings Ltd v States Greffier  – assisted the plaintiff in its disputed claim to ownership of part of Jersey’s foreshore.
Sale of Goods, Credit and Consumer Protection
Instructed by trading standards agencies and also by defendants in disputed finance agreements,
- Derby City Council v Motorpoint  – believed to be the first injunction application to prevent the use of unfair terms in pro forma contracts
- Desastre of Five Oaks Garage (Jersey) Ltd  – co-ordinated and successfully represented a number of consumers against finance companies claiming ownership of vehicles sold by this company
- Sale of Goods and Unfair Terms (Jersey) Law  – instructed by the States of Jersey to advise and settle drafting instructions in respect of a new law regulating the sale of goods, exemption clauses and unfair terms in the Island
Publications, Timothy Hanson is a member of the Editorial Board of the Jersey Law Review and a contributor to various publications, Jersey Law Review: “Justice in Our Time: the Problem of Legislative Inaction” (2002), “Civil Appeals to the Court of Appeal and all that Jazz” (2003), “No Legal System is an Island, Entire of Itself” (2004), “The Jersey Law of Contract: a Question of Identity?” (February, 2005), Business Brief: “Legal Wonderland” (2002), “The Long Reach of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973: How Safe is your Trust?” (2004), Current Law: various, including “Medical Negligence” (2005), Family Law: “Ancillary Relief in the Channel Islands” (January, 2005)
Personal, Married and resides Jersey
Distinction Caen University
Pegasus Scholar 199