Richard is the Deputy Head of the Personal Injury Group in Chambers. He specialises in substantial value personal injury claims. His long experience in this work and his ability to obtain the best results make him a popular choice with Claimant and Defendant Solicitors in respect of serious claims involving brain injuries, severe spinal injuries, other life changing injuries and fatal accident claims.
He is regularly featured in Chambers Guide and the Legal 500 as a top tier barrister in the Midlands for personal injury work. He is regularly instructed in trials and settlement meetings. He is well known for his very substantial turnover of paper work and his enthusiasm to fight for the best interests of his clients.
His work covers all aspects of personal injury litigation as well as issues involving civil procedure.
Recent cases include:
Employers Liability claims
- Fatal Accident involving a fall from height as a result of a barrier failing.
- Amputation claim involving the loss of an arm as a result of an unsafe system of work being condoned.
- Issue of vicarious liability for an assault by an employee on a visitor to a shop resulting in life changing psychiatric injuries
Road Traffic Claims
- Brain Injury suffered by motorcyclist as a result of collision where car emerged from nearside when motorcyclist overtaking stationary traffic.
- Fibromyalgia claim following road traffic accident in which Defendant said road traffic incident was of minimal force.
- Pedestrian crossing road when under influence of alcohol suffered severe spinal injury when hit by car travelling too fast
Occupiers Liability Claims
- Child suffering severe laceration injury when entering into derelict property leading to long term scar revision surgery being required.
- Injury claim at a go Karting event where go kart left the track colliding with spectators causing severe leg injuries to a number of spectators.
- Severe burn injury for tenant as a result of water at Landlord’s property being excessively hot.
- Horse riding claim arising out of a horse being spooked when a novice rider was riding the horse leading to spinal injury for rider.
- Road traffic incident sustained overseas leading to brain injury claim being assessed under French Law
- Football injury when reckless tackle by other footballer resulting in retirement for footballer injured.
Civil procedure issues
- Considering Limitation Defence put forward in historic sexual abuse claim
- Issues as to whether a claim had been properly served when a copy claim form was served
- Application to resile from an admission where liability said to have been admitted in error by insurer as a result of inadequate information.
Negligence in pursuing personal injury claims
- Advising Claimant in case where initial claim settled at an undervalue
- Considering Solicitors’ position where they had not pursued a claim within the Limitation period as a result of error.
- Application by newly instructed firm of Solicitors for relief from sanctions where initial firm failed to serve witness statements on time.
“He is technically brilliant with a good mind for seeing the settlement value of a case. He is tenacious in negotiations and realistic with clients. He’s efficient, reliable and approachable.”
Chambers UK 2019
“A skilled cross-examiner.”
Legal 500 2019
“He cuts through to the heart of a case.”
Legal 500 2017
“He comes up with excellent and unique strategies to resolve cases. He is an excellent advocate and very pragmatic as well.” “His advice is straight to the point.”
Chambers UK 2016
Christ Church, Oxford