Richard is the Deputy Head of the Personal Injury Group in Chambers. He specialises in substantial value personal injury claims. His long experience in this work and his ability to obtain the best results make him a popular choice with Claimant and Defendant Solicitors.
He is regularly featured in Chambers Guide and the Legal 500 as a top tier barrister in the midlands for personal injury work. He is regularly instructed in trials and settlement meetings. He is well known for his very substantial turnover of paper work and his enthusiasm to fight for the best interests of his clients.
His work covers all aspects of personal injury litigation as well as issues involving civil procedure.
Employers Liability claims
- Fatal Accident involving a fall from height as a result of a barrier failing.
- Amputation claim involving the loss of an arm as a result of an unsafe system of work being condoned.
- Issue of vicarious liability for an assault by an employee on a visitor to a shop.
Road Traffic Claims
- Brain Injury suffered by motorcyclist as a result of collision where car emerged from nearside when motorcyclist overtaking stationary traffic.
- Fibromyalgia claim following road traffic accident in which Defendant said road traffic incident was of minimal force.
- Pedestrian crossing road when under influence of alcohol suffered severe spinal injury when hit by car travelling too fast.
Occupiers Liability Claims
- Child suffering severe laceration injury when entering into derelict property.
- Injury claim at a go Karting event where go kart left the track colliding with spectators.
- Severe Burn injury for tenant as a result of water at Landlord’s property being excessively hot.
- Horse riding claim arising out of a horse being spooked when a novice rider was riding the horse.
- Injury sustained overseas leading to claim being assessed under French Law
- Football injury when reckless tackle by other footballer.
Civil Procedure Issues
- Limitation Defence put forward in sexual abuse claim.
- Issues as to whether a claim had been properly served when a copy claim form was served
- Application to resile from an admission where liability said to have been admitted in error by insurer as a result of inadequate information.
Negligence in pursuing personal injury claims
- Advising Claimant in case where initial claim settled at an undervalue.
- Considering Solicitors’ position where they had not pursued a claim within the Limitation period as a result of error.
Handles a broad range of personal injury matters including fatal accident, chronic pain, brain damage and psychiatric claims. He acts for both claimants and defendants.
Strengths: "His attention to detail and evidence is his key skill. He is also very tactically astute and a shrewd negotiator." "Richard provides realistic and balanced advice which gets to the heart of the matter."
Recent work: Represented the claimant in Lewis v Maxbrite, a case concerning an explosion that caused severe burns and psychiatric injuries to the claimant.
Chambers UK 2018
'He cuts through to the heart of a case.’
Legal 500 2017
Strengths: "He often comes up with unique strategies to resolve cases.” "Provides realistic, balanced advice which gets to the heart of the matter.” "Excellent advocacy skills.”
Recent work: Assisted a claimant after he suffered a severe injury to his leg in a road traffic-accident.
Chambers UK 2017
"He get to the heart of the case quickly and in a way that clients understand.”
Legal 500 2016
"He comes up with excellent and unique strategies to resolve cases. He is an excellent advocate and very pragmatic as well." "His advice is straight to the point."
Chambers UK 2016
Christ Church, Oxford