Nicholas has a broad personal injury practice, acting for both claimants and defendants. He regularly appears in both the County and High Court and undertakes work in high-value claims, including those involving complex and catastrophic injuries. He also has a busy paper-work practice and, so, extensive experience of advising on issues of law, quantum and tactics as well as settling pleadings.
Nicholas has considerable experience of: employers’ liability; occupiers’ and other public liability; product liability; highways claims; animals claims; defective premises claims; fatal accident claims; industrial disease claims (including NIHL, VWF and HAVS); and, road traffic accidents. He has a keen interest, and frequently appears, in fraudulent and exaggerated claims and has obtained many findings of Fundamental Dishonesty, both at trial and on stand-alone applications.
Recent and current instructions include:
• Acting for the defendant to a claim arising out of an RTA where life-changing injuries were suffered. Liability was not in issue. The claim was pleaded to c.£1million but settled at JSM for a fraction of that.
• Acting for the defendant to a substantial employer’s liability claim whereby loss of earnings for life was claimed. Causation, quantum and Fundamental Dishonesty were in issue and surveillance evidence was relied upon. The claim was eventually struck out and QOCS disapplied. The appeal to the HC was successfully resisted.
• Acting for the defendant to a public liability claim brought by multiple claimants. Fundamental Dishonesty is alleged against all the claimants on the basis of presence at the scene or support for a related claim.
• Acting for the claimant in a defective premises claim involving complicated issues of causation of physical and psychological injuries.
• Acting for a local authority in a claim brought against it by a pupil who was badly burnt at school and which involved issues under the OLA and of teacher supervision.
• Acting for a claimant in a product liability claim arising out of a defective sun lounger which caused spinal injuries.
• Acting for defendants in multiple fatal road traffic accident claims pleaded to c.£1million. All such cases involve multiple issues and experts, including accident reconstruction evidence.
• Acting for a claimant who suffered life-changing psychological injuries in a road traffic accident and who is unable to ever work again.
• Acting for a child cyclist left disabled in a road traffic accident in a claim pleaded to c.£1million.
• Multiple multi-party claims rising out of accidents on construction sites, for both claimant and defendant.
• Acting for a defendant to fatal accident claim arising out of a mid-air collision between light aircraft.
• Acting for defendants in several high-value claims involving subtle brain injuries.
Attorney General’s (B) Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown.
Personal Injury Bar Association
The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn
BVC (Inns of Court School of Law)
GDL (City University, London)
BA Hons Philosophy (University of Bristol)