Gemma has established a thriving and busy clinical negligence practice acting on behalf of both Claimants and Defendants. She has a wealth of experience in all stages of a litigation, from inquest to trial, and brings a successful combination of robust advocacy with sensitivity for a client’s individual needs. She regularly advises in writing or in conference and can draft pleadings at short notice where necessary.
Gemma has particular experience of advising in cases of delayed or mis-diagnosis; gynaecological claims, oncological matters and failures in cosmetic procedures. Examples of her recent work include succeeding at trial in a claim involving failure of a hernia repair which caused major internal injury; being lead by Paul Bleasdale QC as part of the group action against Dr Pattinson, disgraced breast surgeon; securing settlement for the family of a young patient who died following a tracheotomy failure; defending an NHS Trust over an alleged failure to obtain consent and acting for the mother in a neo-natal fatality claim.
Examples of Gemma’s recent work:
- F v NHS Trust – acting for D in ongoing case involving alleged failure to adequately diagnose and treat ectopic pregnancy leading to total loss of fertility.
- C v NHS Trust – acted for C in claim arising from negligently performed hysteropexy and perineoplasty; the surgeon negligently placed a suture causing pudendal nerve injury. Claim successfully settled.
- B v NHS Trust – acted for D in claim of alleged failure to perform obstetric assessment leading to failure to diagnose and treat grade 3 tear, causing ongoing continence problems; Schedule of Loss was pleaded in excess of 1 million.
- M v NHS Trust – acting for C in ongoing case involving alleged failure to adequately diagnose and treat ectopic pregnancy leading to unnecessary surgery and psychological reaction.
- C v NHS Trust – acting for D in ongoing case involving alleged surgical negligence during inguinal hernia repair, causing ischaemic orchitis and likely loss of the testes.
- S v NHS Trust – acted for D gynaecologist in claim of alleged failure to gain consent for administration of decapeptyl, leading to alleged worsening of depression. Claim was robustly defended and withdrawn 3 days before trial.
- M v NHS Trust – acted for D obstetrician against allegation that a vaginal delivery should have been avoided due to history of rectal prolapse; C alleged she suffered rupture to her bowel.
- A Minor – acted for the mother in a neo-natal fatality claim, representing the family at inquest and thereafter.
Free Representation Unit
Gray’s Inn (Lord Uthwatt Scholarship 2005)
M.A Oxon; Philosophy, Politics and Economics (New College, Oxford)
GDL BPP Law School (Commendation)
BVC BPP Law School (Very Competent)