Our real estate specialist barristers work across the whole spectrum of this area of law, including both commercial and residential issues related to property, tenants and landlords.
The group has wide-ranging expertise including Real Property work, which includes:
- Disputes involving contracts for the sale and purchase of land
- Development and funding of property purchase and land acquisition, including conditional contracts and options
- Mortgages and land charges
- Conveyancing disputes, including claims for Specific Performance
- Land interests, including easements, restrictive covenants (including applications for their discharge and modification in the Lands Tribunal), highways, village greens and commons
- Claims for the possession of land
- Adverse possession
- Beneficial interest disputes – all types of constructive and resulting trusts, proprietary estoppel claims
- Nuisance, trespass, boundary questions
- Compensation claims.
Landlord and Tenant work includes:
- Business tenancies, including termination and renewal, break clauses, service charge disputes, rent and rent review and disrepair and dilapidations claim
- Residential and housing, including forfeiture and possession, breach of covenant and rent claims
- Leasehold enfranchisement - generally long tenancies
- Agricultural tenancies
- Interaction of property law with other areas of practice, such as insolvency, commercial, family and planning.
No5 Chambers possesses a dedicated property team capable of meeting the advocacy needs of local authorities and developers. Members of the set handle a wide range of matters including land sale and purchase disputes, conveyancing issues and specific performance claims. Their cases concern various kinds of property including residential, commercial and religious buildings. A notable recent instruction was Lea v Ward, which related to the extent of an agricultural right of way through a residential development. "Very professional, approachable, efficient and helpful."
Chambers UK 2019
No5 Barristers Chambers’s expertise in property law spans proprietary estoppel, rights of way, conveyancing disputes, restrictive covenants, and landlord and tenant disputes pertaining to commercial and residential properties.
Legal 500 2019