Tim’s practice extends from the largest of developments (the Greenwich Peninsula) through superstores, quarries and new highways to cutting-edge litigation for individuals before the European Court of Human Rights.
He has also appeared in the House of Lords and before a House of Commons Bill committee, and conducted development plan and transport inquiries. He acts for developers, landowners, mineral operators, NGOs and individuals.
Tim’s specialist areas include:
- Planning Appeals and Development Plan Inquiries, Residential, mineral, superstore and other retail development, employment and leisure, wind farms, forward planning.
- Planning Obligations, Section 106 agreements, including those for the largest of developments, Community Infrastructure Levy.
- Minerals, Aggregates, Minerals Local Plan Inquiries.
- Environmental, Environmental protection, landfill, waste incinerations, European Directives, Windfarm inquiries.
- Highways, highways inquiries, s278 agreements, footpaths and bridleways.
- Judicial Review and Statutory Appeals.
- Human Rights and Equality, Issues relating to planning before the European Court of Human Rights, the Administrative Court and the Planning Court.
- Village Greens, Tim is instructed by Commons Registration Authorities to sit as an Inspector at public inquiries into registration of town and village greens.
- Neighbourhood Planning- Tim is instructed by local planning authorities to examine neighbourhood plans and neighbourhood development orders and has conducted 27 neighbourhood planning examinations.
- Gypsy, Traveller and Travelling Showpersons.
- Other Local Government and Public Law Matters, Transport and Works Act Inquiries: railway, light railway and waterway, Parliamentary committees, Judicial Reviews related to policy formation and caravan sites.
Tim has spoken at seminars and other events abroad (as well as in England, Wales and Northern Ireland) on ECHR and EU law and on arbitration. This has encompassed Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Hungary, Ireland, Macedonia, Serbia, Slovakia and Turkey. Tim has also written extensively on planning law, property rights, European law and arbitration, and been published in English, Turkish and Slovak.
"He is very good at handling complex issues."
Chambers UK 2022
"Analytical. In depth knowledge of this area of law both academically and practically."
Legal 500 2022
“He provides thorough, clear advice.” “Top notch in planning matters.”
Chambers UK 2021
“Provides clear, robust and succinct advice, inspiring confidence in his clients.”
Legal 500 2021
“He does a lot of impressive work on behalf of Gypsies and Travellers.”
Chambers UK 2020
“His work is impeccable. His advice is clear-cut and straight to the point. He is very efficient with his time.” “Vastly experienced and clever.”
Chambers UK 2019
“He has impressive analytical abilities.”
Legal 500 2019
Barnsley v Secretary of State  EWHC 206 (Admin)
Butler v Bath (CA)  EWCA Civ 1614,  JPL 941
Chapman v United Kingdom (ECtHR) 33 EHRR 18
Cotswold Grange Country Park v Secretary of State  EWHC 1138 (Admin),  JPL 981
LDRA Ltd v Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government  EWHC 950 (Admin)
Leah Investments Ltd v Welsh Ministers  EWHC 1532 (Admin)
Milton Keynes Council v Wilsher  EWHC 578 (QB).
Moore and Coates v Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (Equalities and Human Rights Commission intervening)  EWHC 44 (Admin)  P.T.S.R.
R (Bleaklow Industries Ltd) v Peak District NPA  EWHC 3387 (Admin);  JPL 1484
R (Carespec Ltd) v Wolverhampton City Council  EWHC 521 (Admin)
R (CPRE) v Swindon BC  EWHC 1586 (Admin)
R (Jones) v North Warwickshire BC (CA)  EWCA Civ 315;  2 PLR 59
R (Maxwell) v Wiltshire Council  EWHC 1840 (Admin)
R. (on the application of Midcounties Co-operative Ltd) v Swindon BC  EWHC 3775 (Admin)
Smith v Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities  EWCA Civ 1391
On the RICS / NPIERS Panel for Neighbourhood Planning Examiners
He sits as an examiner of Neighbourhood Plans and Neighbourhood Development Orders.
Tim is a member of the Planning and Environment Bar Association.
He is a member of the Bars of England and Wales, Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Accredited Mediator (LSM)
Tim has passed the WJEC Mynediad and Sylfaen examinations in Welsh
(2019) Gypsy and Traveller Law (3rd ed). Legal Action Group.
Tim Jones contributed to the Planning Law chapter