Commercial and Chancery
Sajid has experience in advising, drafting pleadings, and representing parties in a broad range of commercial and chancery disputes. He frequently acts for parties in applications and trials in the High Court and County Court.
Sajid’s specialisms include:
- Construction disputes concerning delays, defects, variations and non-payment.
- Company disputes, including shareholder, director, and partnership claims.
- Breach of contract disputes between commercial parties.
- Misselling of PPI and solar panel claims.
- Civil fraud.
- Property and landlord & tenant disputes.
- Insolvency, including winding up petitions.
- Registration and transfer of company shares.
- Consumer Credit Act claims.
- Banking and finance disputes, including regulator investigations.
- Aviation claims, including aircraft leasing and passenger claims.
Examples of Sajid’s recent cases include:
- Advised, drafted pleadings and represented a claimant in the High Court (Insolvency and Companies Court) in an application against the directors of a company for the registration of the transfer of shares in the company.
- Advised and drafted pleadings for a construction company in a dispute over delays, defects, variations, and late payment in a building contract worth in excess of £1m.
- Advised an airline on liabilities following the insolvency of a travel agent.
- Advised and represented a construction company in a challenge to the court’s jurisdiction under a building contract.
- Drafted pleadings and represented banks in PPI and solar panel misselling claims.
- Represented a yacht club in a trial for breach of contract claim by a purported business partner.
- Represented an airline in a claim brought by a German tech company which was in breach of the airline’s terms and conditions.
- Advised a start-up airline on an aircraft lease.
- Represented the estate in a possession claim.
- Advised investors on claims concerning breach of agreement and sharing of profits.
- Drafted pleadings for a claimant in a ‘romance scam’ civil fraud claim.
- Represented a British Virgin Islands registered property company in an application for Rent Repayment Order.
- Represented a trust in a multimillion-pound estate dispute.
Sajid has a growing international arbitration practice in the UK and abroad. He is instructed by clients in Eastern Europe and the MENA region. Sajid has full rights of audience before the DIFC Courts in Dubai and the AIFC Court in Kazakhstan. He is also a CEDR Accredited Mediator.
His experience includes:
- Instructed on behalf of a Polish IT company against a global tech company in a breach of sales and purchase agreement dispute.
- Junior counsel on a construction dispute in Oman under the ICC Rules.
- Advised a former partner on an ad hoc arbitration under the partnership agreement.
- Advised a company on an arbitration clause and how proceedings may be commenced following the other party’s refusal to take the matter to arbitration.
Sajid was a lecturer and course leader for the LLM module in international commercial law at London South Bank University. He has also delivered guest lectures at academic institutions around the world.
Sajid is the founder and co-chair of the UK Chapter of Energy Related Arbitration Practitioners (ENERAP) alongside colleagues from leading city law firms.
He has a keen interest and close involvement with the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot.
Major Scholarship, Inner Temple
Duke of Edinburgh Scholarship, Inner Temple
Charlton’s Scholarship, School of Law, King’s College London
English National Champion and International Semi-Finalist, Telders International Law Moot Court Competition
Winner of Graveson Moot Cup
The Honourable Society of the Inner Temple
Chancery Bar Association
Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
Founder and Co-Chair, UK Chapter of Energy Related Arbitration Practitioners (ENERAP)
LLM, London School of Economics
LLB, King’s College London
Dip. European Legal Studies (Erasmus), Leiden University, Netherlands
Publications and Speaking Engagements
Anti-suit injunctions after Brexit (co-author with Simon Camilleri), Jus Mundi
Courting Trouble: How to Interpret Conflicting Dispute Resolution Clause, Jus Mundi
Arbitration in Pakistan – from ad hoc to institutional arbitration, Investment and Commercial Arbitration Review 2021
Up in the air: aviation law after Brexit, New Law Journal
Moderator and organiser of ENERAP UK Launch event hosted by IDRC, London
Speaker at the UK Ministry of Justice UK-Africa Spring Conference on international trade.
Speaker at the UK Ministry of Justice UK-Middle East Legal Services Week.
Moderator and co-organiser of a webinar on Enka v Chubb hosted by the Asian International Arbitration Centre, Kuala Lumpur.
Moderator and organiser of a webinar on Halliburton v Chubb which included speakers from Africa and the Americas.