Neil Thompson’s practice covers all aspects of cross-border, foreign travel and foreign workplace injury litigation, pre issue, post issue and interlocutory.
He has extensive trial and tactical experience and is a skilled negotiator (mediation/joint settlement meetings). He has an established reputation for reliability, sound judgment and an approachable, user-friendly rapport with fee-earners and clients.
His recent case load has included:-
Rome II (Regulation (EC) No. 864/2007) - Law applicable to non-contractual obligations. Applicable law/date of application of Rome II.
- Brussels I 44/2001 (jurisdiction)
- Fourth Directive Motor Insurance Directive 2000/26
- UK Employee foreign workplace accidents
- Cruise ship - liability of tour operator for food poisoning
- Cruise ship – passenger falls/slips/trips claims
- RORO Channel Ferry – liability for accident in vehicle hold
- Major knee injury from falling luggage
- Carrier’s liability for injury on embarkation
- Carrier’s liability for airport injury
- Carrier’s liability for in-flight fall
- Applicability of Package Travel Regulations
- Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992:-
- Liability of tour operator for change in itinerary
- Campylobacter gastroenteritis: liability of tour operator for hotel
- Jeep accident – liability of tour operator for excursion providers
- Marble stairs. Liability of tour operator for hotel slipping accident
- Bathroom slipping accident. Liability of tour operator for hotel’s failure to provide shower mat.
- Liability of tour operator for hotel beauty salon
- Liability of tour operator for empty roof top swimming pool
- Liability of tour operator for fall from hotel balcony
- Liability of tour operator for wrongly adjusted ski bindings
- Joinder of and service on US defendant
- Locally booked excursions
- Liability of hotel for third-party contractor trading on hotel premises
- Liability of water park for serious water-chute accident
- Chile – swimming pool accident
Foreign Workplace Accidents
- Severe fall from height by fitter at European exhibition venue
- Soldier injured during Alpine exercises
- MOD site, Sovereign Base Area, Cyprus
- Getting the Most from Expert Evidence
- A Practical Approach to Breach of Duty and Causation in Venous Thromboembolism Claims
- Brexit: Brave New World
- Part 36 Offers - Securing an advantage
- Public Liability: Developing Obligations
- A Practical Guide to Successful Travel Litigation
- Foreign Road Traffic Accidents: Jurisdiction, Procedure, Proper Law
- Vicarious Liability- the Limits of Principle
- The Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act 2013: Civil liability for breach
- The Data Protection Act 1996 from the Litigation Lawyers Perspective
- Drafting Effective Witness Statements
- Low Symptom Asbestosis Litigation
Sainsbury v. Allianz Pojistovna
Regulation (EC) No. 864/2007 (Rome II). Birmingham County Court.
Byrne v. Broadway Travel Ltd
(striking out – internet booking/applicability of Package travel etc. Regulations) Leeds County Court.
Moore v. Thomson Tour Operators Ltd.
(tour operator’s liability for slipping accident in foreign hotel) Birmingham County Court.
Murphy v. First Choice Holidays and Flights Limited
(tour operator’s liability for condition of structure of walkway in foreign hotel) Birmingham County Court.
Neil is a member of the Personal Injuries Bar Association.