Maria deals with all aspects of media, entertainment, and intellectual property law.
On the media front Maria has a number of ongoing matters in the Media and Communications List and is able to deal with all matters concerning defamation, privacy, data protection, harassment, and internet ‘take downs’.
Maria is able to deal with reputational management and has expertise in obtaining fast injunctive relief and providing advice urgently.
Whilst many of the cases that Maria has been involved in are confidential and ongoing, cases in which Maria has been involved in include: -
- Acting in defamation/libel claims in relation to postings on Twitter and internet forums including postings on Customer Review Websites requiring urgent action and ‘take down’ advice in relation to podcasts.
- Acting in a libel and malicious falsehood claim in the context of a business dispute;
- Acting for a known celebrity in defending defamation/libel allegations arising out of the publication of a book;
- Acting for a known celebrity in his misuse of private information claim against a TV network;
- Advising on, and seeking and opposing urgent injunctions;
- Acting for a client in his contractual/licensing dispute against a large music corporation. This raised issues of express/actual/ and implied authority and the execution of agreements;
- Acting in a royalties dispute for a Canadian media company and Irish TV network arising out of the production of ‘shorts’
- Acting in a royalties dispute for a well-known singer in his claim against a music corporation;
- Junior Counsel in Lloyd v Kruger  EWHC 2011 (Comm) - successfully defending a 1.3 million claim in the tort of deceit/fraudulent misrepresentation. Defending allegations concerning the quality of audio and audio-visual ‘masters’;
- Advising companies/business on potential remedies for defamation/libel by competitors;
- Advising on data protection/GDPR breaches – specifically data breaches, subject access requests, the implications of the GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018;
- Acting for an individual in his “Right to be Forgotten” claim against an internet service provider;
- Maria also advises music/entertainment artists on their management agreements and sponsorship agreements and is often instructed by them on a direct access basis;
Maria has experience of intellectual property disputes and in particular, has acted/advised in the following: -
- Acting/advising in cases where a copyright infringement and passing off has been alleged (including primary and secondary infringement of TV shows);
- Junior Counsel in a multi-million-pound historic claim for non-payment of royalties and infringement of performance rights and protections arising out of the Estate of a famous rock guitarist, singer, and songwriter.
- Advising in an action concerning a band who alleged copyright infringement of a music sample of a well-known song “Warrior’s Dance”.
- Maria also advised on intellectual property issues in the context of advertising and branding matters prior to coming to the Bar.