Jason graduated with a 1st Class Law Degree and an ‘Outstanding’ on the Bar Course, performing top of his year on both courses, and was nominated for the ‘Barrister of the Year’ Award for the Birmingham Law Society Legal Awards 2019.
Jason has a broad business and property practice with experience of high-value cases. Jason has regular court appearances and frequently acts as sole counsel in the High Court and County Court. Outside of court, Jason has experience advising in conference, advising by telephone, drafting statements of case and provides written advice.
Recent and on-going instructions include:
- Advising on claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975. Jason also has experience of these matters in the context of mediation and court hearings (including FDR hearings).
- Advising, drafting statements of case and acting in a High Court claim for the rectification and construction of a will. This resulted successfully with the will being rectified.
- Advising, drafting statements of case and acting in a High Court claim for a declaration pursuant to the Presumption of Death Act 2013 in relation to a person who went missing abroad. This was determined with the High Court making a declaration of presumed death after the missing person had not been seen for over 6 years since travelling in a mountainous area and involved obtaining disclosure orders and taking steps regarding advertisements in 3 separate countries.
- Acting in interim and final hearings relating to relief pursuant to the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 and drafting proceedings for the same.
- Acting for beneficiaries of estate and obtaining an order for a legacy and residuary funds to be paid to the beneficiaries and an order that the trustee provide disclosure of the estate assets.
- Advising on the administration of estate assets in circumstances where there are threatened third party claims against the estate including issues of alleged lack of testamentary capacity.
- Advising on trustees’ power to advance capital from a trust and the procedure relating to the same.
- Advising on issues arising from the alleged suppression and destruction of a will and on matters arising from cross-examining a person on a testamentary document to ascertain details relating to wills.
- Advising on issues arising from a lost will and how to prove the same.
- Advising, drafting pleadings and acting in the High Court in relation to the severance of a joint tenancy at common law.
- Advising on issues of challenging the validity of a will based on a lack of testamentary capacity and undue influence and issues of challenging lifetime transfers based on undue influence.
- Advising in relation to Beddoe applications and in relation to a claim by an estate against another estate in relation to the recovery of monies.
- Advising in relation to a Court of Protection application to increase fees for care following an award of a fund of over GBP 1million.
- Advising in relation to the removal of executors/trustees.
- Advising in relation to setting aside a land transfer on the basis of ultra vires acts under a power of attorney and recovery of the land by a deceased’s estate.
Prior to joining chambers, Jason worked in the litigation, regulatory and contentious tax team at Pinsent Masons LLP, a top 20 international law firm. During this time, Jason was seconded to work at a client’s office in Westminster on a claim regarding the termination of a GBP 750 million contract and gained valuable experience working on an array of commercial disputes including fraud, contractual disputes, tort of nuisance, professional negligence and competition law.
In his spare time, Jason enjoys travelling, playing tennis and reading with a particular interest in ancient history.
Baron Dr Ver Heyden de Lancey Prize, Middle Temple (2015)
BPTC Best Overall Student Award, Best performance across full and part-time courses (2015)
Civil Litigation Prize, Overall highest mark in Civil Litigation BPTC (2015)
Certificate of Honour, Middle Temple (2015)
Wildcard Scholarship, University of Law BPTC advocacy award (2014)
Jules Thorn Scholarship, Middle Temple (2013)
Platinum Award, University of Law (2013)
Ford and Warren Prize, Best overall performance on LLB (2012)
‘Best Advocate’ Award, Beachcroft Mooting Shield (2012)
Winner of the University Internal Mooting Competition (2010)
Chancery Bar Association
The Midland Chancery and Commercial Bar Association
The Midland Circuit
BPTC, “Outstanding” (Top of Year), University of Law, Birmingham
LLB (Hons), First-Class (Top of Year), Leeds Law School