Jason graduated with a 1st Class Law Degree and an ‘Outstanding’ on the Bar Course, performing top of his year on both courses, and was nominated for the ‘Barrister of the Year’ Award for the Birmingham Law Society Legal Awards 2019.
Jason has a broad business and property practice with experience of high-value multi-track cases. Jason has regular court appearances and frequently acts as sole counsel in the High Court and County Court. Outside of court, Jason has experience advising in conference, advising by telephone, drafting statements of case and provides written advice.
Recent and on-going instructions include:
- Successfully acting for a Defendant in a multi-day Multi-Track trial in relation to a claim pursuant to a business agreement for the payment of outstanding deferred consideration. The claim involved several issues of contractual interpretation. Jason successfully had the claim against the Defendant dismissed.
- Advising, drafting pleadings and representing a company and company directors in relation to a dispute concerning a patent allegedly worth several million pounds involving parallel proceedings in the Intellectual Property Office and Court involving issues of legal assignments, equitable assignments and unjust enrichment.
- Acting unled for a Claimant in a High Court insurance claim in relation to stolen diamond and gold stock, in which the Defendant is represented by a QC.
- Acting for a FTSE subsidiary company in a trial and successfully defeating a breach of contract claim involving issues of the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977.
- Successfully acting for a Claimant following a multi-day trial regarding a claim for injunctive relief and damages following the breach of a commercial lease.
- Acting for a company director in relation to a High Court unfair prejudice petition.
- Successfully obtaining an interim remedy for monies to be paid into court in relation to a claim for contract, breach of trust, proprietary estoppel, unjust enrichment and tracing based on a Quistclose trust.
- Acting for administrators in the High Court in a hearing relating to a claim of excessive remuneration.
- Successfully obtaining specific disclosure against a non-party to support a potential s423 Insolvency Act 1986 claim relating to a transaction at an undervalue.
- Advising on breach of director duties and minority shareholders’ rights and remedies.
- Acting for an international bank based in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) concerning a commercial dispute involving the application of UAE law.
- Advising in relation to a claim involving Japanese knotweed.
- Successfully defending a claim at a Fast-Track trial for cancellation fees under an alleged purchase order and obtaining judgment on a counterclaim for monies paid on the basis of unjust enrichment. This case raised issues of the contractual certainty of terms, misrepresentation, the authenticity of documents (on which a handwriting expert was instructed) and the incorporation of standard terms and conditions.
Prior to joining chambers, Jason worked in the litigation, regulatory and contentious tax team at Pinsent Masons LLP, a top 20 international law firm. During this time, Jason was seconded to work at a client’s office in Westminster on a claim regarding the termination of a GBP 750 million contract and gained valuable experience working on an array of commercial disputes including fraud, contractual disputes, tort of nuisance, professional negligence and competition law.
In his spare time, Jason enjoys travelling, playing tennis and reading with a particular interest in ancient history.
Baron Dr Ver Heyden de Lancey Prize, Middle Temple (2015)
BPTC Best Overall Student Award, Best performance across full and part-time courses (2015)
Civil Litigation Prize, Overall highest mark in Civil Litigation BPTC (2015)
Certificate of Honour, Middle Temple (2015)
Wildcard Scholarship, University of Law BPTC advocacy award (2014)
Jules Thorn Scholarship, Middle Temple (2013)
Platinum Award, University of Law (2013)
Ford and Warren Prize, Best overall performance on LLB (2012)
‘Best Advocate’ Award, Beachcroft Mooting Shield (2012)
Winner of the University Internal Mooting Competition (2010)
Chancery Bar Association
The Midland Chancery and Commercial Bar Association
The Midland Circuit
BPTC, “Outstanding” (Top of Year), University of Law, Birmingham
LLB (Hons), First-Class (Top of Year), Leeds Law School