Jason graduated with a 1st Class Law Degree and an ‘Outstanding’ on the Bar Course, performing top of his year on both courses, and was nominated for the ‘Barrister of the Year’ Award for the Birmingham Law Society Legal Awards 2019.
Jason has a broad business and property practice with experience of high-value multi-track cases. Jason has regular court appearances and frequently acts as sole counsel in the High Court and County Court. Outside of court, Jason has experience advising in conference, advising by telephone, drafting statements of case and provides written advice.
Recent and on-going instructions include:
- Advising, drafting pleadings and representing a company and company directors in relation to a dispute concerning a multi-million pound patent involving parallel proceedings in the Intellectual Property Office and Court involving issues of legal assignments, equitable assignments and unjust enrichment.
- Acting unled for a Claimant in a High Court insurance claim in relation to stolen diamond and gold stock, in which the Defendant is represented by a QC.
- Advising in relation to the company’s rights to issue new shares and use funds in the context of its £2.7 million loan agreement secured by a debenture.
- Acting for individuals in a neighbour dispute concerning shared access land, in which Jason successfully discharged an interim injunction and thereafter drafted a Defence and Counterclaim.
- Advising in relation to intellectual property issues arising from the use of an American superhero character being used as part of a business service (confidential).
- Advising a multinational company on intellectual property issues arising from the potential use of a fictional television character as part of its media videos (confidential).
- Acting in a High Court claim for the rectification and construction of a will.
- Acting in a High Court claim for a declaration pursuant to the Presumption of Death Act 2013 in relation to a person who went missing abroad.
- Acting in a High Court unfair prejudice petition.
- Successfully obtained an interim remedy for monies to be paid into court in relation to a claim for contract, breach of trust, proprietary estoppel, unjust enrichment and tracing based on a Quistclose trust.
- Acting in interim and final hearings relating to relief pursuant to the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 and drafting proceedings for the same.
- Advising in relation to potential copyright infringement, trade mark infringement, passing off and design rights arising from branding and designs created by an agency.
- Advising on the merits of an opposed trade mark application in relation to a business in the hospitality industry and drafting documents related to the same.
- Acting for administrators in the High Court in an interim hearing relating to a claim of excessive remuneration.
- Successfully obtaining specific disclosure against a non-party to support a potential s423 Insolvency Act 1986 claim relating to a transaction at an undervalue.
- Acting for a FTSE subsidiary company in a trial and successfully defeating a breach of contract claim involving issues of the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977.
- Acting for beneficiaries of estate and obtaining an order for a legacy and residuary funds to be paid to the beneficiaries and an order that the trustee provide disclosure of the estate assets.
Prior to joining chambers, Jason worked in the litigation, regulatory and contentious tax team at Pinsent Masons LLP, a top 20 international law firm. During this time, Jason was seconded to work at a client’s office in Westminster on a claim regarding the termination of a £750 million contract and gained valuable experience working on an array of commercial disputes including fraud, contractual disputes, tort of nuisance, professional negligence and competition law.
In his spare time, Jason enjoys travelling, playing tennis and reading with a particular interest in ancient history.
Baron Dr Ver Heyden de Lancey Prize, Middle Temple (2015)
BPTC Best Overall Student Award, Best performance across full and part-time courses (2015)
Civil Litigation Prize, Overall highest mark in Civil Litigation BPTC (2015)
Certificate of Honour, Middle Temple (2015)
Wildcard Scholarship, University of Law BPTC advocacy award (2014)
Jules Thorn Scholarship, Middle Temple (2013)
Platinum Award, University of Law (2013)
Ford & Warren Prize, Best overall performance on LLB (2012)
‘Best Advocate' Award, Beachcroft Mooting Shield (2012)
Winner of the University Internal Mooting Competition (2010)
Chancery Bar Association
The Midland Chancery and Commercial Bar Association
The Midland Circuit
BPTC, “Outstanding” (Top of Year), University of Law, Birmingham
LLB (Hons), First-Class (Top of Year), Leeds Law School