Gemma has established a thriving and busy clinical negligence practice acting on behalf of both Claimants and Defendants. She has a wealth of experience in all stages of a litigation, from inquest to trial, and brings a successful combination of robust advocacy with sensitivity for a client’s individual needs. She regularly advises in writing or in conference and can draft pleadings at short notice where necessary.
Gemma has particular experience of advising in cases of delayed or mis-diagnosis; gynaecological claims, oncological matters and failures in cosmetic procedures. Examples of her recent work include succeeding at trial in a claim involving failure of a hernia repair which caused major internal injury; being lead by Paul Bleasdale QC as part of the group action against Dr Pattinson, disgraced breast surgeon; securing settlement for the family of a young patient who died following a tracheotomy failure; defending an NHS Trust over an alleged failure to obtain consent and acting for the mother in a neo-natal fatality claim.
Examples of Gemma’s recent work include:
- J v NHS Trust – acted for C up to and including at 3 day trial – C suffered a negligent repair of umbilical hernia requiring emergency laparotomy procedure. Defence was withdrawn after trial had opened.
- B v NHS Trust – being lead by Nageena Khalique QC in a case involving negligent failure to remove surgical clips and sutures from C-Section site, causing ongoing infection and exacerbation of diabetes, leading to potential loss of limbs and sight.
- D v B – acting for D in claim against plastic surgery for alleged surgical failures during rhinoplasty and liposuction. Claimant alleges loss of modelling and acting career.
- R v NHS Trust – acted for C in a claim arising from alleged surgical negligence during subtalar fusion procedure; causation was complex as R had previously undergone ankle fusion and suffered ankylosing spondylitis. Particular dispute concerned need for custom made footwear. Claim successfully settled.
- C v NHS Trust – acting for D in ongoing case involving alleged surgical negligence during inguinal hernia repair, causing ischaemic orchitis and likely loss of the testes
- T v NHS Trust – acting for D in ongoing case involving alleged surgical negligence during procedure to correct hallux valgus, causing avascular osteo-necrosis
Free Representation Unit
Gray’s Inn (Lord Uthwatt Scholarship 2005)
M.A Oxon; Philosophy, Politics and Economics (New College, Oxford)
GDL BPP Law School (Commendation)
BVC BPP Law School (Very Competent)