Gemma’s busy personal injury practice focuses on high value and serious injury claims. She has expertise in cases concerning spinal injury, brain injury, amputations, fatal accidents and industrial disease.
Examples of recent work include:
- O and D v A firm – A fatal accident at work gave rise to a complex dependency claim on behalf of the deceased’s three young daughters. Gemma represented the claimants throughout and negotiated a global settlement in excess of 250,000 at a JSM.
- B v A firm – Gemma acted for the claimant who suffered a partial amputation of his left hand in an accident at work involving a circular saw. The claim was valued in excess of 250,000 and liability and damages were contested until the morning of trial, when the matter was successfully compromised.
- C v Motor Insurer – The claimant suffered a relatively modest back injury in a RTA; he underwent discectomy and spinal fusion surgery but a non-negligent complication resulted in him suffering a significant injury to his spinal cord. The matter is ongoing but damages are expected to reach 500,000.
- A v B – Gemma acts for the family of a young father who was killed when out running by a careless driver; the matter is ongoing but damages are expected to exceed 250,000.
- A v CICA – The appellant suffered gun shot wounds and severe psychiatric injury following an assault at her work place. On appeal to the CICA Gemma secured an award of almost 500,000.
Free Representation Unit
Gray’s Inn (Lord Uthwatt Scholarship 2005)
M.A Oxon; Philosophy, Politics and Economics (New College, Oxford)
GDL BPP Law School (Commendation)
BVC BPP Law School (Very Competent)