Esther specialises in clinical negligence litigation, with a busy and well-established practice spanning a broad spectrum of medical fields. Her work includes high value claims, complex matters involving multiple defendants, and injuries of the utmost severity including fatalities.
Esther prides herself on being accessible and responsive, and working as a team with her instructing solicitors. She is regularly complimented by medical experts for her impressive grasp of medical issues. Professional clients often instruct her in the most delicate cases, for her sensitive and empathetic approach.
Recent cases include:
- Negligent transection of ulnar nerve during arthroscopy resulting in permanent disability
- Negligent fracture of femur during arthroscopy, compounded by negligently-performed remedial surgery
- Mismanagement of ankle fracture resulting in permanent disability
- Delay in diagnosis of fibula fracture compounded by negligently-performed surgery, resulting in permanent significant disability
- Negligently-performed gastric bypass surgery, resulting in chronic pain
- Negligently performed gynaecological surgery resulting in rectal injury and need for stoma
- Negligently-performed breast reconstruction surgery, resulting in infection, multiple surgical procedures and permanent scarring
"Very intelligent and an impressive advocate in court." "She has a lovely manner with clients, good attention to detail and is very considered in her advice."
Chambers UK 2022 (Band 1)
Strong analytical skills and able to assess complex issues incisively. Excellent advocacy skills and empathetic client communication.
Legal 500 2022 (Tier 1)
“Extremely thorough, efficient and sensible. She is lovely with clients and is a safe pair of hands.” “She is calm and collected and her written work is outstanding.” “She's technically brilliant and her knowledge is unbelievable.”
Chambers UK 2021 (Band 1)
“She analyses information forensically and identifies strengths and weaknesses in a case early on.”
Legal 500 2021 (Tier 1)
“Incredibly intelligent and able to think quickly in a wide range of cases.”
Legal 500 2020 (Tier 1)
“She has excellent attention to detail and gets to know a case inside out.” “She is exceptionally good at dealing with clients who have sensitive personal issues and acts with empathy and professionalism.” “She’s very effective, to-the-point, efficient in conferences and is able to easily identify problems and deal with them quickly.”
Chambers UK 2020
Recorder – Civil, Midlands
Personal Injuries Bar Association
Chair of Midland Circuit Women’s Forum
Bar Council Retention Panel
Panel Reviewer for Bar Pro Bono Unit
UK Association of Women Judges
BSc Mathematics and Philosophy (First Class, Sheffield)
Post-Graduate Diploma in Law (Distinction, Nottingham)
Bar Vocational Course (Outstanding, Nottingham)
Approved for Direct Access work
Birmingham Law Society Barrister of the Year 2020/21