Neil is dual qualified in Medicine and Law. His medical career began in the Royal Army Medical Corps and he has practised both within the military and in the civilian world. He has over a decade of experience as a doctor, having specialised in Orthopaedics and Major Trauma. Neil’s most recent medical appointment was that of Honorary Consultant Trauma Co-ordinator for the Major Trauma Service at University Hospitals Birmingham, which hosts the Royal Centre of Defence Medicine.
In addition to his clinical work, Neil was appointed a Medical Member of the Medical Practitioners Tribunal in 2016; he continued to sit in this capacity until 2022.
Inquests form a significant part of Neil’s practice; especially those where the quality and appropriateness of clinical care has been brought into question. In this arena, his medical expertise comes to the fore. He has experience representing bereaved families, local authorities, and NHS Trusts. Recent cases include those in which subsequent disciplinary hearings and criminal proceedings loom large.
He brings to his legal practice his medical knowledge and experience. He is, not only, skilled at analysing medical records but also benefits from his own personal experiences of the realities of working within the clinical setting. This combination of experiences makes him uniquely suited to healthcare related law matters.
Medical Member, Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service – 2016-2022
Member, Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority’s Appeals Committee
Approved Panel Chair for Disciplinary Sub-Committee Hearings of the Conservative Party
- Baron Dr ver Heyden De Lancey Prize, Middle Temple, 2018
- Certificate of Honour, Middle Temple, 2018
- Diplock Scholar, Middle Temple, 2017
- The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple
- Personal Injury Bar Association
- General Medical Council
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- British Medical Association
- Medical Protection Society
- Birmingham Medico-Legal Society
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Public Health
- Bar Professional Training Course, University of Law Birmingham (2017-2018): Outstanding
- Graduate Diploma in Law, University of Law Birmingham (2016-2017): Commendation
- Diploma in Legal Medicine, Faculty of Forensic and Legal Medicine (2015)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Trauma Sciences (Military and Austere), Queen Mary University of London (2014): Distinction
- Diploma in the Medical Care of Catastrophes, Worshipful Society of Apothecaries (2012)
- Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons (2012)
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, University of Nottingham (2007)
- Bachelor of Medical Sciences (Hons), University of Nottingham (2005)