Since being called to the Bar, Dewinder has practised continuously in family law. She was appointed as an Immigration Judge (part-time) in 2002 and so she is able to advise and act in cases which have an overlap with immigration law. She is studying for her Ph.D in medical law and arising out of her research, she has a keen interest in those cases which involve any aspect of the human fertilisation and embryology e.g. surrogacy and storage of embryos.
With regards to family law, she is an ancillary relief specialist who maintains her practice in public and private child care law.
- A wide range of complex cases involving pensions, business interests, professional clients and high value assets.
- She has acted on behalf of clients who seek financial relief with aspects of Asian culture e.g. dowry and third party interveners.
- Financial provision for children under Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989
- Financial disputes between cohabitees and unmarried couples
- Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 applications
Public child care:
- Hearings at all stages in care, supervision and adoption proceedings. She regularly acts for local authorities, children and parents in public law cases involving sexual abuse, serious neglect and non-accidental injuries.
Private child care:
- Contested residence and contact disputes, including the enforcement of contact.
- Finding of Fact hearings which involve allegations of serious domestic violence and abuse
- Applications to remove children from the jurisdiction.
- Applications which involve a foreign jurisdiction
“...recently joined [No5 Chambers] from St Mary’s Chambers”
Legal 500 2011
“Combines ancillary relief expertise with a specialist knowledge of the impact of immigration law on matrimonial breakdown“
Legal 500 2010
Legal Experts 2010
“Highly recommended for ancillary relief”
Legal 500 2009
“Tenacious, highly recommended for ancillary relief”
Legal 500 2008
“Highly Recommended in Family Law”
Legal Experts 2008
“Recommended as an ancillary relief specialist”
Legal 500 2006
FLBA (East Midlands)
Graduated in Law from Essex University in 1987.
Called to the Bar in 1988.
Currently studying part-time at Leicester University for a PhD in Medical Law.
Press and Media
“Human Fertilisation and Embryology. The New law”
Dewinder is the author of “Human Fertilisation and Embryology. The New law” (2009) Jordans publishings.
“A Child: The Trump Card in Immigration Cases?“
She also wrote the article “A Child: The Trump Card in Immigration Cases?” which was published in Family Law journal in August 2011.