Year of call: 2000 England and Wales; 2011 Turks and Caicos; 2015 Cayman; 2016 British Virgin Islands
Commercial Litigation, Civil Fraud and Recovery of Assets
Commercial dispute resolution is the core part of Alexander’s practice, often with a cross border and international aspect. Alexander is known for his pragmatic advice, along with having commercial objectives premeditated for the client from the outset. Alex has excellent communication skills combined with well prepared and uncompromising advocacy.
Alexander has substantial experience in acting in misrepresentation claims. A reported case is Biscoe v Milner 2021] EWHC 763 (Ch) containing allegations of fraudulent misrepresentations to investors of several million pounds . It resulted in a 10 day high court trial where Alex successfully represent two defendants.
Alexander advises and appears in complex, high-value disputes in the Commercial Court and Chancery Division, and in numerous overseas jurisdictions.
Alexander has extensive experience in complex and highly contentious cases and civil fraud. Many of his cases arise in the context of claims against directors, partners and former senior employees, and joint venture disputes.
Alexander has advised and appeared on cases concerning the misappropriation of company assets and unlawful share support operation, the investment of monies in bogus investment schemes, or simple theft amongst others. Given the nature of the allegations made in fraud cases, much of the work in this field is advisory remaining out of the public domain.
Alexander has considerable experience in interlocutory applications and conducted many injunction hearings related to these cases including freezing orders, Norwich Pharmacal applications and other injunctive relief both in England and overseas.
Examples of areas where Alexander advises and appears on:
• Asset Recovery
• Banking and Finance disputes
• Conflicts of law issues
• Contract disputes
• Cross Border disputes particularly ‘offshore’
• Fraud matters
• Jurisdictional disputes
• Privilege issues
• Tax Tribunals
• Unfair Prejudice (994’s) Petitions
Cross Border Disputes
With globalization has come increased legal, regulatory, financial and reputational complexity and risk for international businesses and investors. Alexander has over eight years’ experience concentrating on cross border disputes with a focus on the offshore financial industry and the US Financial Industry, particularly relating to Funds.
Alexander has appeared numerous times in the highest courts and appellate courts of multiple jurisdictions. Alexander has been called to the Bar in Cayman, British Virgin Islands and Turks and Caicos.
Alexander’s practice has a strong emphasis on complex commercial and insolvency litigation cases, often in offshore jurisdictions with ties to Asia, the U.S. or Latin America.
Alexander has expertise in dealing with Russian and CIS related claims with satellite litigation in offshore centres such as Cyprus, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands and Turks and Caicos.
Alexander studied for a Masters (LLM) in International and US Corporate law at NYU Law, one of the top 5 law schools in the US.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Taking a pragmatic commercial approach, Alexander has substantial experience with negotiating settlements between parties either at Court in without prejudice discussions or in mediation.
Examples of Notable Cases
• Lead Counsel successfully defending two Respondents in a 10 day High Court trial in response to a GBP 3 million claim from a Liquidator for several allegations including Fraudulent Trading and Dishonest Assistance. (2021)
• Junior Counsel in a Joint Venture dispute in the High Court in excess of GBP 100 million. (2021)
• Lead Counsel in 994 Petition for Unfair Prejudice around GBP 10 million claim. (2021)
• Lead Counsel for Russian Company in English High Court trial against English defendant with successful judgment for several million (GBP). (2020)
• ‘Ex Parte’ Freezing order in English High Court followed by claim for breach of fiduciary duties and restitutionary claim for Chinese clients. (2020)
• Lead Counsel in claim in English High Court for recoveries of monies relating to a multimillion (GBP) property development in Barbados. (2019)
- Lead Counsel for Investment Fund in derivative action against ‘vulture funds’ seeking to take control of Fund and its significant portfolio of assets. (2018)
• Counsel acting for leading Chinese Industrialist in an unfair prejudice action brought by an American Hedge Fund claiming damages in excess of GBP 50 million. (2017)
• Counsel in civil fraud and recovery case valued at several 100 million (GBP) acting for a well-known Billionaire financier. (2014)
• Counsel acting for music legend Prince in dispute over property in excess of GBP 15 million. (2014)
• Acting for a number of international banks and other financial institutions in cross border disputes and enforcement actions.
"Alexander is an excellent advocate."
Legal 500 2023 - Commercial Litigation
Legal 500 2023 - Offshore
“Alexander is very approachable and delightful to work with. His knowledge of the offshore financial industry and the US financial industry is a real asset.”
Legal 500 2022 - Commercial Litigation
“Alex is very likeable and delightful to work with. He has a broad experience, but really excels in complex disputes involving fraud or breach of duty. His knowledge of the offshore financial industry and US financial industry is a real asset.”
Legal 500 2022 - Chancery, Probate and Tax
Ranked Tier 1 in Company and Insolvency.
Legal 500 2022 - Company and Insolvency
“He contributes extensive knowledge regarding Offshore having practiced overseas, bringing added value.”
Legal 500 2022 - Offshore
Green v Daws  4 WLUK 29 - Queen's Bench Division
13 Apr 2021
Biscoe v Milner  EWHC 763 (Ch) - Chancery Division
30 Mar 2021
Parry v Parry  EWHC 3284 (Ch) - Chancery Division
16 May 2005
Yorke v Katra  EWCA Civ 867 - Court of Appeal (Civil Division)
9 Jun 2003
BA Newcastle University
CPE / BVC College of Law
LLM Surrey (part time) – Employment Law
LLM NYU Law – Corporate Law
TEP – Trust and Estate Practioner as designated by STEP
Alexander was co–author of a chapter of the latest edition of Asset Tracing and Recovery Review.