Year of call: 2000 England and Wales; 2011 Turks and Caicos; 2015 Cayman; 2016 British Virgin Islands
Alexander has broad commercial and insolvency litigation experience covering a wide range of contractual, property and regulatory disputes.
His work includes an emphasis on civil fraud, white collar fraud, company, insolvency and regulatory matters, as well as complex commercial disputes generally. Alexander regularly advises shareholders in joint venture disputes and acts in contentious matters involving trusts and involuntary liquidation. He has been the lead counsel in several long, complex, document heavy cases.
Alexander has conducted a considerable amount of complex contested trials and hearings and therefore is an experienced advocate and cross examiner in highly contentious and hard-fought cases in England and overseas. Alexander has appeared numerous times in the highest courts and appellate courts of multiple jurisdictions. Alexander has substantial experience of witness actions and in cross-examination and is well used to coping with the challenges presented by trials and major applications.
Alexander has not only practised at the Bar but also as a partner in an offshore law firm and as a Principal in a New York Law firm. Alexander is therefore used to taking a client friendly and pragmatic approach to cases with an emphasis on providing optimal solutions to client’s problems. Alexander’s international experience makes him particularly well suited to cases involved cross border issues and has much experience working with other legal teams in multiple jurisdictions on the same case.
Some Notable Cases Alexander has appeared in:
- Lead Counsel successfully defending two Respondents in a 10 day High Court trial in response to a GBP 3 million claim from a Liquidator for several allegations including Fraudulent Trading and Dishonest Assistance. (2021)
- Junior Counsel in a Joint Venture dispute in the High Court in excess of GBP 100 million. (2021)
- Lead Counsel in 994 Petition for Unfair Prejudice around GBP 10 million claim. (2021)
- Lead Counsel acting for IP’s representing victims of $300 million Ponzi scheme operated out of Dubai. Cross border issues on insolvency law in several jurisdictions with a vast amount of documentation to be analysed. (2018)
- Counsel in civil fraud and recovery case valued at several 100 million pounds acting for a well-known Billionaire financier. (2014)
- Counsel acting for music legend Prince in dispute over property in excess of GBP 15 million. (2014)
- Counsel for purchasers of Ritz Carlton (West Caicos) in insolvency action relating collapse of Lehman Brothers. (2014)
- Counsel acting for leading Chinese Industrialist in an unfair prejudice action brought by an American Hedge Fund claiming damages in excess of GBP 50 million. (2017)
- Counsel for Investment Fund in derivative action against ‘vulture funds’ seeking to take control of Fund and its significant portfolio of assets. (2018)
- Counsel for high profile industrialist and property developer in accusations of bribery and government corruption. (2013)
- Acting for a number of international banks in cross border disputes and enforcement actions.
Commercial Litigation and Civil Fraud
Alexander has extensive experience in complex and highly contentious cases and civil fraud. Many of his cases arise in the context of claims against directors, partners and former senior employees, and joint venture disputes. Alexander has conducted many injunction hearings related to these cases including freezing orders, Norwich Pharmacal applications and other injunctive relief.
Insolvency (See Insolvency profile for more detail)
Alexander is experienced in many areas of insolvency law both domestic and international both advising companies and conducting the hearings. These areas include:
- Administrative receivers
- Asset-tracing and recovery
- Cross-border (including EC Regulation, the Cross-Border Insolvency Regulations and UNCITRAL model law)
- Directors’ disqualification
- Liquidation (including application for appointment of provisional Liquidator)
- S.423 applications
- Voluntary arrangements and ‘pre-packed’ liquidations
- Winding up in the public interest
Cross Border Disputes
With globalization has come increased legal, regulatory, financial and reputational complexity and risk for international businesses and investors. Alexander has over eight years’ experience concentrating on cross border disputes with a focus on the offshore financial industry and the US Financial Industry particularly relating to Funds.
Alexander also studied for a Masters (LLM) in International and US Corporate law at NYU Law one of the top 5 law schools in the US.
Alexander has been called to the Bar and appeared in the Courts of multiple jurisdictions and has considerable experience working with international legal teams. He is particularly experienced in high value and complex joint venture disputes.
Trusts and Estates, Inheritance Disputes, Wills
Alexander is a member of STEP having completed his 4 STEP (Trust and Estate Practitioner) examinations with distinction. He has acted in many trusts matters particularly offshore trusts in a variety of contexts both for trustees and beneficiaries. He has particular experience dealing with Cayman, BVI and Turks and Caicos Trusts.
Alexander acts in both contentious and non-contentious probate claims Including advising on claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975. Alexander’s practice involves claims for the removal of Executors and Trustees, and for breaches of their duties.
Examples of areas covered include -
- Claims for financial provision pursuant to the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.
- Disputes as to the substantial and procedural validity of wills
- Applications for the removal of executors and trustees
- Applications for the rectification of wills
- Breach of trust/breach of fiduciary duty claims
- Administration actions in particular disputes as to the construction of wills or directions from the court
- Proprietary estoppel, undue influence and constructive trust claims
Regulatory Law and Corporate Governance
Alexander has unique perspective and experience on regulatory issues having both advised funds and other financial institutions including global banks for many years. He has also worked inside a fund dealing with regulatory issues in multiple jurisdictions. Corporate Governance is a particular interest of Alexander.
Alexander has represented companies and individuals in regulatory matters both contentious and non-contentious including making presentations and direct representations to the relevant regulator. He has been involved in many regulatory matters that have been directly tied to parallel regulatory issues in the US including SEC and DOJ investigations.
Alexander has acted for both Companies and individuals in regulatory matters that also involve criminal allegations including MLAT requests, POCA and money laundering allegations.
Some examples of the areas Alexander can advise on include -
- Financial Services Regulation (including FCA)
- Suspicious Activity Reports in the Financial Sector
- Corporate Governance and Reporting (including POCA)
- Reports to Money Laundering Officers and POCA / money laundering regulations
- Directors Duties and Fiduciary Duties (including representation at Tribunal)
- Professional Conduct particularly concerning those regulated in the Financial Services Sector
- Bribery Act
Alexander has acted for major Financial Institutions and Global brands in relation to their internal investigations on issues ranging from financial and sexual misconduct to an arson investigation. Alexander has also acted for individuals who have been caught up in internal investigations.
Alexander’s concentrates on the Financial Sector and senior executives due to his related experience in Regulatory Law and Internal Investigations which are frequently issues in such cases. Alexander has represented many investment bankers and finance professionals.
Alexander has an LLM in Employment Law.
- Basic French
“Alex is very likeable and delightful to work with. He has a broad experience, but really excels in complex disputes involving fraud or breach of duty. His knowledge of the offshore financial industry and US financial industry is a real asset.”
Legal 500 2022 - Chancery, Probate and Tax
“Alexander is very approachable and delightful to work with. His knowledge of the offshore financial industry and the US financial industry is a real asset.”
Legal 500 2022 - Commercial Litigation
Ranked as Tier 1 in Company and Insolvency.
Legal 500 2022 - Company and Insolvency
“He contributes extensive knowledge regarding Offshore having practiced overseas, bringing added value.”
Legal 500 2022 - Offshore
Chancery Bar Association
BA Newcastle University
CPE / BVC College of Law
LLM Surrey (part time) – Employment Law
LLM NYU Law – Corporate Law
TEP – Trust and Estate Practioner as designated by STEP