Alex practises in both the health/welfare and property/financial affairs jurisdictions of the court.
He receives instructions from a range of clients including the Official Solicitor, the Office of the Public Guardian, family members, deputies, attorneys and private individuals.
Property and affairs
Alex accepts instructions in a range of matters in this area. Recent instructions have included:
- Challenges to financial deputy/ attorney decisions;
- Authorisations of large gifts from P’s estate;
- Statutory will applications;
- Contentious applications for the sale of property;
- Costs applications; and
- Applications to discharge attorneys following financial mismanagement.
Health and Welfare
Alex acts regularly in s21A and s16 MCA 2005 cases. He has also appeared in High Court cases involving Forced Marriage Protection Orders and complications around capacity to make decisions about sexual relations.
Capacity in other jurisdictions
Alex also accepts instructions to advise in Court of Protection matters and matters involving capacity in other jurisdictions including:
- Multi-track trials for damages arising out of a breach of fiduciary obligations as a deputy;
- Property disputes involving an incapacitous party; and
- A Judicial Review in relation to a decision about a Lasting Power of Attorney.
Office of the Public Guardian v PGO & Ors, Re: BGO  EWCOP 13
Senior Judge Hilder’s determination that a Lasting Power of Attorney was invalid as the donor’s signature was witnessed by the attorney. The instrument could not be treated as being in the prescribed form even though the donor had clearly intended to create an effective Lasting Power of Attorney for both property and affairs and health and welfare.
Public Guardian v PS & Ors  Judgment pending
Case involving Lasting Power of Attorney instruments that purport to give the attorney(s) the power to provide financial assistance and maintenance to a person other than the donor. The case is intended to provide guidance for future LPAs.
Associate Fellow, Royal Commonwealth Society
Major Scholar, Middle Temple
Committee, Court of Protection Bar Association
Court of Protection Practitioners Association
Human Rights Lawyers’ Association
Bar Professional Training Course, City University
LLB (Hons) Law, The University of Exeter
“A court for the absent & missing”, New Law Journal
09 February 2018