Wed, 23 Apr 2014
Steve Colson, 46, Bolsover, pleaded guilty to four offences of contravening the Health and Safety Act 1974 after falsely claiming he was a qualified gas fitter.
Colson was contracted by the Tingay Family in 2010 to move their boiler at their home in Ashover. Nazia and Neil Tingay and their teenage daughter started to feel ill and had British Gas inspectors look at the boiler, which was found to be unsafe.
Tim Pole, prosecuting, said Colson falsely claimed he was a qualified gas fitter. Whilst working on the Tingays’ bathroom, he said he would be able to move their boiler, but it was fitted in such a way that fumes could not be dispersed and it was impossible for flue products to exit and fresh air to enter. Mr Pole explained that this could have lead to a build up of lethal carbon monoxide fumes and potentially an explosion.
At Derby Crown Court, Judge David Pugsley said Colson showed a “cynical, callous and reckless disregard for other people” and sentenced him to two months in prison and ordered him to pay £1,000 costs.
Please click here to read the article by the Matlock Mercury.
Please click here to view Tim Pole’s profile.