Sentence handed down on mother prosecuted by David Mason QC

Thu, 06 Sep 2018

A mother, prosecuted by David Mason QC from No5 Barristers’ Chambers, for allowing the 2016 manslaughter of her six-month-old son Kayden has been jailed.

Laura Davies, 25, of Walnut Close, Bilston, was convicted last month of allowing Kayden’s manslaughter at the hands of his father Ricky Walker, 27, of the same address. She was jailed for 18 months at Birmingham Crown Court.

Kayden went into cardiac arrest at his home and was pronounced dead approximately one hour after Walker had dialled 999 on June 12, 2016.

He died of brain injuries consistent with having been shaken. Walker told jurors he believed a folded-up hoodie he used to “prop-feed” the infant may have suffocated him.

Davies, who has a history of mental health issues, was told she had failed to heed "warning signals" before the death of six-month-old Kayden Walker - including a comment from Walker, relating to suffocation and previous incidents of violence.

Explaining why Davies, who was not present when Kayden collapsed, had been charged with allowing death, Mr Mason told the court: "Our case is that there had been an earlier incident of trauma to Kayden and both his mother and father would have been aware of it.

"We can and do suggest that she should have been aware that there was a risk to Kayden and failed to take reasonable steps to protect him."

Walker, 27, of Walnut Close, Bilston, was convicted of manslaughter but cleared of murder and child cruelty after a month-long trial at Birmingham Crown Court. He was jailed for six years last month.

To read more about this case visit: www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/jail-mum-laura-davies-who-15115596

David Mason QC is a member of the Criminal Law Group at No5 Barristers’ Chambers. To view his profile please visit: www.no5.com/barristers/barrister-cvs/david-mason-qc--crime-cv/

Related articles

In December 2011 the client was convicted of murder but this was quashed in February 2015 following a successful appeal brought by Philip Rule to the Court of Appeal (Criminal Division). Mr Rule was instructed for the appeal and had not acted below....

Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015
In one of Philip Rule’s ongoing cases before the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg (Minter v UK) the President of the First Section has decided to give notification of the application to the UK Government on 15 December 2015....

Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2016
Philip Rule, No5 Chambers, reports from the European Court of Huma Rights conference on the Crimes of the Past...

Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016