Mon, 22 Jul 2013
An inquest has been opened into the death of Devon Noade, 40, who died after choking on his own vomit. Mr Noade had been sent home from Bradford Royal Infirmary three times in less than a week.
Caroline Sumeray, Bradford’s Assistant Deputy Coroner, said Mr Noade died of aspiration pneumonida brought on by a portal vein thrombosis - blood clot - that had been caused by a small bowel infarction.
In the week prior to this death, Mr Noade visited BRI three times complaining of abdominal and chest pain, particularly after eating, and vomiting. His family have accused BRI of neglect, and said they failed in their duty of care.
Dr Bradley Wilson, an A&E consultant, told the court that Mr Noade went to the hospital on June 15, 20 and 21 last year. On the first occasion, doctors said his observations such as pulse rate and blood pressure were normal. On the second occasion, after complaining of abdominal pain and vomiting for nine days, he was diagnosed with gastritis, prescribed medication and sent home. On his third visit, the following day, after complaining of even more pain, his medication dosage was increased and he was again sent home.
Dr Wilson explained that PVT was a rare condition and very hard to diagnose. He said “Because the observations were absolutely normal on the three occasions, we allowed him home.”
Chris Holburn, a consultant in emergency medicine, said that whilst BRI had acted correctly, the thinking of the the doctors could have been better.
The inquest was adjourned before Ms Sumeray could give her ruling. It will recommence on 2nd August.
Please click here to read the full story as reported by the Telegraph and Argus.
Please click here to view the profile for Caroline Sumeray.