Harpreet Sandhu defends in Motorway pile-up case

Tue, 01 Dec 2015

A lorry driver has been jailed for two and a half years, and banned from the road for six years and three months after causing a motorway pile-up which killed a man and left another man with life-changing injuries. 

It was heard at Liverpool Crown Court that that Peter Tootle ploughed into the rear of Mark Done’s car, which was queuing in traffic after an earlier crash on the motorway.

The incident, which took place in the morning of September 30 last year, saw a pile-up of eight other vehicles and severely injuring Paul Johnson who was in the car in front of Mr Done’s.

Tootle admitted causing Mr Done’s death and serious injury to Mr Johnson by dangerous driving.

As the footage of the incident was shown in court, it was seen Tootle sobbed and rocked back and forth in the dock.

Harpreet Sandhu defending, said Tootle was a man of previous good character and the crash “was in every sense a tragedy”.

Mr Sandhu said “This was a man whose remorse was instant at the scene.”

The judge said the incident represented a personal tragedy for Tootle as well, accepting that he was genuinely remorseful.

To read the full article in the Liverpool Echo please click here.

Click here to view the Crime profile of Harpreet Sandhu.

Related articles

On the 24th May from 5pm to 6pm, Founder and Trustee of City Disabilities, Robert Hunter, will be presenting a webinar...

Date: Tue, 18 May 2021
Three No5 barristers Saleema Mahmood, Nabila Mallick and Sultana Tafadar have appeared as guests on Ramadan Radio in a live discussion on Breaking Stereotypes episode ‘Your career, your faith’....

Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021
No5 is delighted to announce that Esther Gamble has been named “Barrister of the Year” by the Birmingham Law Society....

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021