The Serious Injury Team is comprised of barristers with specialist interest, experience and expertise in serious personal injury cases. Counsel within the team act for both seriously injured individuals (including protected parties) and insurer clients. They have a national reputation for their levels of knowledge and service when acting in catastrophic injury claims which is consistently recognised by the legal directories.
Barristers within the team have extensive experience of all aspects of serious injury litigation, including those involving:
- Acquired brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Pain disorders
- Fatal accidents
Recent cases that the team have been involved in have included:
- A successful claim in the Court of Appeal in relation to the issue of liability in case involving a tree falling upon a bus driving causing catastrophic injuries including brain injury and flail arm.
- A case of traumatic brain injury for a Libyan national on holiday in the UK which settled for a lump sum and PPOs with a total equivalent capitalised value in excess of £12m.
- A road traffic accident involving an American citizen on holiday in the UK who suffered a severe brain injury. Liability was in issue and the case involved complex quantification of a 24-hour care regime and Court of Protection costs in the US. Settled for £3m.
- A case of an elective below knee amputation due to debilitating CRPS following an injury at work, where the reasonableness of the amputation was challenged, which settled for £2.6 million.
- A number of claims involving severe or fatal injuries suffered as a result of motorcycle accidents, including an accident leading to a brain injury that settled for a capitalised equivalent of £3.8m and a fatal case that settled for £1.5m.
Many members of the team are individually recognised by the legal directories for their expertise in serious injury claims. Comments about different members of the team in the current editions of Chambers UK and the Legal 500 include:
- “One of the go-to silks for high-value personal injury and disease cases”.
- “Possesses a wealth of experience in “heavyweight” brain damage cases”.
- “Regularly acts in serious cases, including those concerning death and catastrophic injury, and is particularly well reputed for his compassionate approach with clients”.
- “Regularly instructed in serious high-value claims”.
- “A junior handling the work of a silk”.
- “Impressive aptitude in tacking difficult causation and quantum issues in claims involving spinal injury”.
- “Particularly well versed in high-value brain injury cases”.
Members of the team are instructed on behalf of Claimants and Defendants and are supported by a dedicated clerking team. View a list of barristers with experience in this area.