Highways & Rights of Way


Members advise and act for local authorities, developers and members of the public on the provision of new road infrastructure or the improvement, diversion or stopping-up of existing roads including:

  • The obtaining of planning permission under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 or the Town and Country Planning General Regulations 1992
  • The obtaining of a Development Consent Order under the Planning Act 2008
  • Orders under the Highways Act 1990
  • Orders under the Transport and Works Act 1992 

Members also advise and appear in compulsory purchase proceedings in connection with the provision of road infrastructure.


Rights of Way and Access to Land

Members can advise landowners, local authorities and members of the public on the dedication and use of public roads and pavements for public rights of way, for example, footpaths, byways or bridleways. 

Members advise and appear at public inquiries concerning the modification of rights of way shown on a Definitive Map and on appeal to the Planning Inspectorate or the High Court.

Members advise landowners, local authorities and the public on the registration and use of Town and Village Greens and appear at public inquiries and in the High Court.

Members can also advise on ‘rights to roam’ on open access land including mountains, moors, heaths, downs, common land and some land around the England Coast Path.

Related articles

Appointments to the Attorney General's civil panel counsel for 2019....

Date: Wed, 08 May 2019
Permission has been granted on s78 appeal for a 60 bed care home (Use Class C2) in Hartley Wintney, within Hart District Council: APP/N1730/W/18/3203638...

Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2019
James Corbet Burcher examines PlanTech at the No5 Annual Planning Seminar...

Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2019