A man has died at Bestival music festival as a result of blood loss after he had a paranoid reaction to a drug and cut his arms.

The inquest heard that Daniel Parks, 35, had brought what he thought was a legal high, but is believed to have been class B drug 4-Methylethcathinone.  

Caroline Sumeray, Isle of Wight Coroner, said: “He had purchased what he believed to be ‘legal highs’ via the internet prior to attending the festival.

“Unbeknownst to him, the ‘Magic Crystals’ which he purchased were, in fact, a prohibited substance, believed to 4-Methylethcathinone”

His wife called for help after she found him in a distressed state in the toilet of their campervan, where he had caused serious injuries to his lower arms with a kitchen knife. He was taken to St Mary’s Hospital and efforts were made to resuscitate him, however he died of hypovolaemic shock secondary to deep cuts to his arms. 

Coroner Caroline Sumeray recorded a narrative verdict. 

Please click here to read the story as reported by:
BBC News 
The Metro
The Mirror
Isle of Wight County Press
he Daily Echo
On the Wight
Isle of Wight Radio
Gig Wise
Please click here to view the profile for Caroline Sumeray.