Richard Jones QC - Commercial Litigation
Richard has a very broad experience of all types of business disputes, acting for both claimants and defendants. Examples of the business sectors within which he has acted are as follows:
- Claims arising out of allegations of money laundering by legal professionals
- A claim under a shareholders’ agreement in respect of club premises
- Minority shareholder disputes
- Partnership disputes (especially solicitors) including breach of fiduciary duties
- Company disputes including appointment and removal of directors, powers of directors, shareholders’ agreements.
- A claim in respect of breach of a confidentiality agreement, economic duress and abuse of a dominant position in the paper industry
- Advice on the form and content of a construction joint venture agreement
- Non-disclosure and misrepresentation issues relating to employers’ liability policy
- Contractual issues in respect of operation of equestrian centre
- Claim for negligent misrepresentation and breach of contract arising out of TUPE transfer
- Product liability claim in respect of Land Rover vehicle relating to electronic systems
- Utilities dispute regarding supply by National Grid
- Claims relating to negligent valuation of reinstatement costs by lending institution’s surveyor
- Claims in respect of accountant’s alleged negligence arising out of settlement with HMRC
- Claim for commission payments arising out of sale of defence industry software to Middle Eastern conglomerate
- Claim arising out of sale and purchase agreement relating to racetrack
- Claim relating to impact of Hire Purchase Act upon vehicles acquired subject to bills of sale
- Mirror Group Pensions (acting for Bank of America)
- Brinks Mat (acting for Engelhard, innocent purchaser of smelted gold)
Member of the Midlands Chancery and Commercial Bar Association.
Member of the Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers
Chair, Enforcement Committee Panel, Financial Reporting Council;
Legal Chair, disciplinary panel of ICAEW
Senior Decision Maker, Guernsey Financial Services Commission
Fellow, Society of Advanced Legal Studies;
Approved for direct public access work
"He has both the cerebral ability and the adversarial ability." "He's intelligent and looks at cases thoroughly but is also a very good advocate."
Chambers UK 2016
‘A particular expert in financial services matters, including cases with group litigation orders and professional negligence’
Legal 500 2015
Experienced silk with a strong reputation on the Midland Circuit. He heads the chancery and commercial group at No5 and his commercial practice focuses on financial services disputes.
"He has provided good advice and is very approachable."
Chambers UK 2015
‘An expert in financial services matters.’
Legal 500 2014
'Richard Jones QC comes highly recommended for his excellent advocacy skills’.
Legal 500 2013
'Richard Jones QC provides ‘good tactical assurance’ in financial services matters, and property specialist'
Legal 500 2012
Richard Jones QC is a general commercial litigator and is ‘thorough and down to earth’.
Legal 500 2011
'Richard Jones QC is frequently instructed in financial services matters.'
Legal 500 2009