Olivia Chaffin-Laird Banking, Finance and Financial Regulation
Commercial disputes constitute a large proportion of Olivia’s practice and encompasses contractual disputes, civil shareholder and business disputes, breach of fiduciary duties, civil fraud and financial matters.
Olivia has uncompromising standards and is utterly committed to her cases; her conscientious approach is well suited to complicated finance, fraud and deception cases. She is recognised for her meticulous preparation and attention to detail, combined with thorough and tenacious advocacy and yet retains a down to earth and pragmatic approach to both people and their disputes.
She has developed the ability to digest complex reports as well as detailed financial statements and enjoys the challenge of explaining difficult issues in terms acceptable to, and understandable by, her client. She provides a clear, analytical approach with a degree of pragmatism. She appreciates that where there are implications for directors both advice and case management must be robust.
She has experience of mediation including those requiring concise financial arguments in order to support settlement proposals.
Recently, Olivia’s wider commercial practice has included instructions in relation to numerous large-scale commercial cases, including:
- for the directors of Midlands Regen Limited, a charity, in its successful claim for breach of duty following the fraudulent diversion of funds;
- for the director of a family business in a successful claim brought by members of his family with allegations of breach of fiduciary duty by the charity;
- for the director and shareholder of an established technology company in a shareholder dispute with co-directors in a family business;
- for the partner in a partnership dispute in a successful dispute involving breach of a joint venture agreement with competing international interests;
- for a banker in a substantial fraud claim brought by Group Seven Limited v Nasir et al heard over 9 weeks in 2017 concerning money laundering, breach of trust, dishonest assistance, professional obligations of solicitors and fiduciary duties of banks and their employees, judgment for which is reserved.
She has acquired significant experience in the financial services sector acting for large groups of investors who have received negligent financial advice and who have been financially devastated as a result of collapsed funds and schemes.
She was on the panel of nominated counsel for risk warning, an organisation which aims to assist investors that have been wronged and further seeks to attempt to clean up the industry for financial services along the way.
"The Professional Duties of Financial Advisers"
“Olivia Chaffin-Laird impresses with her performance in cases concerning contractual disputes, professional negligence, construction and finance. She is praised for her breadth of expertise and business-minded approach. “She cuts to the chase and is extremely commercial” “She works extremely hard and presents her cases well” [Chambers UK, 2017]
"Very knowledgeable about the law but also very commercial. She gives you a balanced view." "She's a fighter and doesn't give up." [Chambers UK, 2016]
A well-respected commercial disputes junior. She has particular expertise in financial services matters. "She performed very well on her feet and prepares very thoroughly." "She takes a very assertive and robust approach." [Chambers UK 2015]
'She is personable, meticulous in preparation and excellent on paper.' [Legal 500 2014 Edition]
"Exceptional advocate Olivia Chaffin-Laird is thorough and extremely approachable" [Legal 500 2013 Edition]
Olivia is an outstanding Barrister in her fields. Our Firm frequently instructs her and receives first-class advice and Counsel Opinion. She is extremely knowledgeable, passionate and dedicated. 
Olivia is approachable and full of personality. Instructing Olivia is always cost-effective and simple and there is no doubt that her services are effective, efficient and you can rest assured that she has an excellent success rate 
(1) Haysport Properties Ltd (2) Twinsectra Ltd V Joseph Ackerman  EWHC 393 (Ch)
(1) Group Seven Ltd (A Company Incorporated In Malta) (2) Rheingold Management Inc (A Company Incorporated In Panama) V Ali Nasir & 9 Ors : Equity Trading Systems Ltd V (1) Notable Services Llp (2) Martin Landman (3) Francesco Meduri (4) Llb Verwaltung (Switzerland) Ag (Formerly Liechtensteinische Landesbank (Switzerland) Ltd) (A Company Incorporated In Switzerland) (5) Othman Louanjli  EWHC 620 (Ch)
Haysport Properties Ltd & Anor v Ackerman  EWHC 3975 (Ch)
Finesse Group Ltd v Bryson Products (A Firm)  EWHC 3273 (TCC)
LLB Europe with French
Universite de Montpellier – Diplome de droit francais fondamentale
Midlands Chancery and Commercial Bar Association [MCCBA]
Commercial Bar Association [COMBAR]
Technology and Construction Bar Association [TECBAR]
January 2013: Junior Counsel to the Crown
Chancery, Commercial, Insolvency
January 2008: Treasury Counsel in the Midlands
Chancery, Commercial, Insolvency, Property