Nicholas Cobill - International Arbitration & Trade
Nicholas advises and acts on commercial disputes with an international element.
He advises on risk avoidance, drafts opinions and pleadings, provides guidance on disclosure exercises, interviews witnesses, liaises with experts and represents clients at mediation, in tribunals and in court. His experience includes:
- obtaining disclosure orders on behalf of an Argentinean national supermarket chain to force the disclosure of banking documents and oral testimony from deponents in this jurisdiction to assist in its defence in the largest litigation in the Commercial Court in Argentina – Carrefour Nederland BV et al. v PWC et al.;
- obtaining security for costs for British Airways plc against a foreign litigant;
- obtaining an order registering an Icelandic judgment on behalf of Straumur-Buroaras Investment Bank Limited;
- obtaining an order on behalf of the Treasury Solicitor compelling the deposition of a UK national for evidence in the Romanian Court.
- representing Swiss human growth hormone marketing company in a c. £10m GBP contractual dispute with an English manufacturer of pharmaceutical devices;
- defending test case by UK vehicle dealer against a Japanese vehicle manufacturer relating to Regulation 1400/2002/EC and selective distribution network;
- advising foreign lawyers and Treasury Solicitor on Letters of Request / facilitating depositions;
- registration and enforcement of foreign judgments in this jurisdiction;
- advising on jurisdiction and governing law clauses.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
- representing UK vehicle manufacturers in multi-million GBP disputes at mediation;
- representing a sophisticated corporate entity at multi-party mediations;
- assisting shareholders to recover deferred consideration in an expert determination;
- representing a financial advisor in a mediation with a mortgage provider;
- averting proceedings against companies on the verge of insolvency through negotiation;
- devising tailored solutions for corporate entities to limit the threat of litigation.
He is recognised for his proactive and commercial approach to dispute resolution.
Prior to joining No5 Chambers in March 2011, Nicholas was a senior associate in the commercial litigation team at Wragge & Co LLP. He also led the firm’s advocacy team. He dealt with a broad range of commercial disputes from high value and complex commercial matters to comparatively lower value and high volume disputes. He worked with partners across the firm, managed solicitors and supervised trainees.
From 2005 to 2011, he was one of four lawyers appointed to Wragge & Co’s international support team. He advised lawyers across the firm on matters containing international elements, contributing to a database of precedents, advices and articles. He gave jurisdiction training to all new trainees as well as departmental training sessions on aspects of law pertinent to each practice area.
Member of the International Bar Association.