Jonathan Jones QC - Personal Injury
Jonathan acts for both claimants and defendants in Clinical Negligence, Personal Injury and Professional Negligence matters. He has an international practice and regularly appears in the courts of the Cayman Islands.
Jonathan has extensive experience of cases in the following areas:
- Cerebral palsy claims
- Accidents at work causing serious injury
- Obstetrics and paediatrics Claims involving profound neurological damage, including quadriplegia and paraplegia
- Unlawful birth/conception cases
- Claims arising from negligently performed operations, including
- vasectomies and sterilisation procedures, endoscopies, neurological surgery, hip and knee replacements etc
- Optical negligence, including failing to diagnose glaucoma
- Oncology, including errors in diagnosis and treatment Errors occurring during attendance at Accident & Emergency departments, including failing to diagnose fractures, failing diagnose and/or treat myocardial infarction etc
- Errors by general practitioners, including failing to treat diabetes, failing to refer following symptoms of arterial blockage etc
- Cauda Equina/Spinal abscesses
- Consent and Human Rights
• Bedford School
• St Andrews University – Economics: 2:1
• City University - Diploma in Law: Commendation
• Inns of Court School of Law
• Gray’s Inn Scholarship - Uthwatt Award
• Personal Injuries Bar Association
• Junior Counsel to the Crown (Regional Panel)
"Very approachable and always willing to discuss cases. He has a comprehensive knowledge of the law and can navigate complex legal issues with clarity."
"He is extremely thorough and never misses a thing." "Great on his feet, with first-class technical skills."
Chambers UK 2018
‘A very analytical mind.’
Legal 500 2017
"His attention to detail is second to none. For academic detail, you go to him." "He's just got a lovely, methodical way of dealing with a case."
"His exceptional analytical skill translates into real results for clients. He is the barrister you want on your side in the most technically challenging cases." "Quick-thinking, tactically astute, careful and good with clients." "Thorough and forensic. Great on his feet with first-class technical skills."
Chambers UK 2017
‘A real specialist with a keen eye for detail.’
Legal 500 2016
"He is thorough, forensic, and great on his feet - with first-class technical skills." "He gives clear and structured advice, and is happy to deal with client queries and concerns."
"His attention to detail is second to none. He's academically astute, extremely thorough and highly knowledgeable.” “He is excellent with clients; he makes every client feel very important. He has a great eye for detail and is always very accessible
Chambers UK 2016
‘His knowledge of the law is first class, and he is an excellent tactician.’
Legal 500 2015
Noted for working on complex RTA cases, in particular those involving serious head injuries. He handles matters for both defendants and claimants. Expertise: "He is thorough and forensic. He's great on his feet, with first-class technical skills."
Chambers UK 2015
'Strategically wise in progressing cases.'
Legal 500 2014
Principally focuses on brain damage cases, although he also has a broader practice covering birth trauma and cosmetic surgery claims. He attracts praise for his client care, his prowess in the courtroom and his strong analytical skills.
"He's incredibly thorough and develops a good relationship with his clients."
"Exceptionally bright, he gets to grips with the medical issues quickly, and is also thorough in his preparation."
Chambers UK 2014
Joining No5's ranks of standout silks is Jonathan Jones QC, who was made up in 2013
Legal 500 2013
Jonathan Jones acts on both clinical negligence and complex personal injury cases. Peers note that he is "great on his feet and has first-class technical skills," while instructing solicitors hail him for his "thorough and forensic" advice.
Chambers UK 2013
Jonathan Jones is ‘tactically astute and very thorough’
Legal 500 2012
Jonathan Jones divides his time between personal injury and clinical negligence. He advises both claimants and defendants on serious injury and industrial disease claims.
Chambers and Partners 2012
Jonathan Jones is '...clear with clients and is able to give strong advice when it is needed’
Jonathan Jones is ‘very bright, well organised, and excellent at communicating with clients and at dealing with experts’.
Legal 500 2010
Jonathan Jones maintains his reputation for technical knowledge and “outstanding ability, both in conference and on his feet.”
Chambers and Partners 2009
“The assiduous Jonathan Jones was described to researchers as “one of the most conscientious juniors around.””
Chambers and Partners 2008
“Recommended by observers for his prowess in medical matters”
Chambers and Partners 2007
Highly recommended as a “strong drawcard”.
Chambers and Partners 2006
“Peers assert that he is the first person to talk to on a difficult case”
Chambers and Partners 2005
• Lawrence v Chief Constable of Staffordshire  PIQR Q349; Times, July 25 2000.
• Re T – damages of £800,000 for below knee amputation.
• Re T – damages of £2.26 million spinal abscess leading to quadriplegia.
• Re C – damages of £1 million for wrongful birth.
• Re Maddison (Deceased) – death in Iraq by friendly fire.
• Re Cosby (Deceased) – death in Iraq by friendly fire.