James Dixon Employment
Began legal career at Sheffield Law Centre where one of the principal areas of practice was employment law. At the beginning of his practice, whilst in London, he undertook a considerable amount of work for FRU which covered a variety of cases including high-value discrimination claims.
During his time at the Court of Justice of the European Communities, Luxembourg he was involved in translating a number of documents (judgments and Advocate General’s Opinions) which involved issues relating to the relationship between employment law and EClaw.
He has represented both Claimants and Respondents in a number of cases both fully contested and those which have settled. Examples of cases he has recently been involved in:
- Representing Claimant in sex discrimination claim (settled)
- Representing Claimant in equal pay/unfair dismissal (settled)
- Successfully defended solicitor against a claim of sex discrimination and unfair dismissal
- Successfully defended solicitor against a claim brought for unpaid holiday pay by a former ‘worker’ post Stringer)
- Successfully defended Wyre Forest District Council in respect of a claim brought for unfair dismissal where there was an issue as to alleged material variation of contract
- Successfully represented Claimant in long-running and multi-day disability discrimination/constructive unfair dismissal case (the issues included those relating to complicated surgery leading to the need for the Claimant to radically change her lifestyle)
James won Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year Award at Birmingham Law Society Awards 2013.
B.A. (Hons) Hull
Employment Lawyers Association
Employment Lawyers Bar Association
Association of Prison Lawyers
Prisoner Legal Rights Group
Criminal Bar Association