International Arbitration & Trade
The No5 Chambers International Group advise and act in a wide variety of international matters including high value and high profile international litigation and arbitration disputes.
The team brings together skills gained over many years working around the world with major companies and commercial organisations in both legal and commercial roles. Not only does the group have specialist industry experience but also specific regional, cultural and language knowledge, particularly in relation to India, China and the Far East where members have lived and worked extensively. All of this gives us a highly commercial approach, with a team who are well versed and experienced in managing the particular demands of international practice.
We regularly advise and represent clients ranging from multi-national companies, governments & state-owned entities, to individuals engaged in international trade and commerce and are able to offer expertise in all aspects of international dispute resolution, whether in the courts of England and Wales or under the auspices of the major arbitral institutions, in ad hoc arbitration and ADR.
Members of the group are instructed regularly as individuals or together in small teams, and are also used to working as part of multi-national legal teams in matters requiring expertise of more than one legal jurisdiction or system of law.
We have particular experience of disputes relating to jurisdiction and conflicts of laws and also of matters involving the interaction between arbitration and the national courts (enforcement proceedings, challenges to jurisdiction, stays etc).
We can also offer complimentary advice and consultation on non-contentious matters involving public and private international law.
Sectors of Expertise
- Energy sector- all aspects from production and exploration to sale, transportation and insurance
- International sale of goods
- Carriage of goods by land, sea and air
- Trade finance
- Investment disputes
- Regulatory trade work
- Telecoms sector
What we do
Advisory work on matters of trade law/arbitration law/investment law including:
- advisory work in the context of commercial negotiations
- pre-action advisory work and dispute avoidance
- expert witness work on matters of English law
- Advocacy in the English courts
- Advocacy before international tribunals – members have experience of arbitrations conducted under the rules of most of the major institutional arbitral rules including UNCITRAL, LCIA, ICC, LMAA
- Advice and drafting in proceedings before the English courts and before international Tribunals
- Specific experience in jurisdictional disputes/conflicts of laws - Enforcement of judgments and awards
- Worldwide Freezing Orders
Countries where we have worked include China, India, Malaysia, Singapore, Brazil, Finland, Spain, Bulgaria, Sweden, Switzerland, USA, Russia, Turkey, Australia, the Cayman Islands, BVI, Lichtenstein, Kazakhstan, Romania, Libya, Nigeria, Lithuania, Germany, Canada, Belgium, Italy and the Middle East.